Top Review by Chef Dudo
Very good. Made it just as stated. I tasted the jam when it was almost ready and thought, hm, something's missing. Read the recipe again and found that I had forgotten to add the brown sugar. When having done that and tasted again, yes, this is perfect! Wouldn't change a thing. Had some with a vegetable casserole when it was still warm and some on crackers when it had cooled off. It is sweet (not overly), spicy, yes definitely something to make again. Thanks for posting. Made for P-A-R-T-Y- Holiday tag, December2009.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups sliced red onions (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon small basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion.
- Cook 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stir frequently.
- Add vinegar, sugar, ginger and garlic.
- Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- Serve with steak or pork tenderloin.