Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is wonderful with cheeses and cheese dishes, quiches and savoury pies, hamburgers, sausages, roast meats, lentil roast, and so much more..... The flavours develop the longer you keep it, so make ahead to get the sweetest mellow taste. This jam (or "confiture" if you want to be posh) keeps well in sealed sterilised jars and also makes a great gift at Christmas time. The recipe came from the December 2003 edition of the Sainsburys Magazine, but you don't need to wait for Christmas to make this!
- 120 ml sunflower oil (or groundnut oil)
- 700 g red onions, very finely sliced
- 175 g caster sugar
- 150 ml sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grenadine, cordial
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wide shallow pan, then add the onions, sugar and salt and pepper: cook very gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the sherry vinegar, grenadine and red wine: continue to cook, uncovered, at a gentle simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring regularly until it reaches the consistency of jam.
- Allow to cool before decanting and sealing in sterilised jars.
I used olive oil instead of sunflower oil and a mixture of red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, it still came out fine. It is very sweet but works great when combined with other flavours. It is a very easy recipe that you don't need to spend much time attending to while it is cooking. I have used some to make little tarts of puff pastry, onion, crumbled feta and pinenuts - recieved great compliments.
yuuum! this is the first onion jam ive tried but ithink im going to stick to this recipe! i used red wine vinager, brown sugar, and added 1/4t cayenne, and various pinches of herbs including a bit of lemongrass. such an awesome rich red colour and flavoursome. had it with watercrackers and gouda. thanks!
amazingly tasty ,easy recipie thats just so versatile...i didnt have sherry vinagar but red wine vinegar worked just as well(with a drop of regular fruity sherry).