1/2 Photos of Red Onion, Goat Cheese and Basil Tart
1 hr 35 mins
Such a great appetizer, especially if you're a big fan of goat cheese like I am. From Bon Appetit, June 1995.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium red onions, unpeeled, each cut into 12 wedges
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (half of 17 1/4-ounce package)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 226.79 g soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
- 59.14 ml purchased pesto sauce
- 59.14 ml whipping cream
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Oil heavy large baking sheet. Toss onion wedges with oil in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange onions in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until bottoms of onions are golden and onions are very tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack; cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead . Cover and let stand at room temperature.).
- 3Preheat oven to 400°F Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 14x11-inch rectangle. Trim edges to even. Cut 1/2-inch strip from each side of pastry, forming 13x10-inch rectangle; reserve strips.
- 4Transfer pastry rectangle to another heavy large baking sheet. Brush edges with some of beaten egg; reserve remaining egg. Place strips on edges of tart, creating border. Trim strips; press gently to adhere. Pierce bottom of pastry several times with fork. Bake until edges puff and pastry is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to rack. Using metal spatula, loosen pastry from baking sheet. Cool completely on sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 5Stir cheese, pesto, cream and 2 tablespoons basil in medium bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in remaining beaten egg. Spread cheese mixture evenly over bottom of crust. Remove peel and stem end from roasted onions. Fan wedges, golden brown side up, over cheese mixture.
- 6Bake tart until crust is brown and cheese appears set, about 20 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to rack and cool tart to room temperature.
- 7Sprinkle tart with remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion, Goat Cheese and Basil Tart
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.0
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 39.7 mg
- Sodium 154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: