1/2 Photos of Red Onion, Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Boo L's Note:
A flat-oven baked bread originating in Italy. Don't be afraid by the amount of topping suggested - a whole red onion will be so much that you can't see the surface of the bread anymore; but it all shrivels up when cooked, and using less will make it quite bland. Dill and sage also both work quite well with this recipe. Although this makes '1 loaf' because I only have 12 x 8 baking trays I tend to split this into two loaves and bake them separately, or else it gets squashed. Also beware of adding extra liquid - this tends to suck liquid away and then surprise you when you start kneading, so make sure you've properly mixed before you add anymore
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- 2Stir in the yeast, (this should be 1 dessert spoon but Zaar doesn't like it -- so it's about half a tbsp) oil and water.
- 3Mix to a dough. Add more liquid if kneaded (depends on the dough you're using) but be careful.
- 4Turn the dough out and knead it for 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- 5Place in an oiled bowl in a warm place (window sill / airing cupboard) for about an hour to double in bulk. Cover it with cling film or a wet tea towel to stop it from forming a crust. (If it does, then knead it some more to get rid of it - but it will then need more proving time to get the air back).
- 6Roll the dough out into a rough oval shape about 1cm thick, and place onto an oiled baking tray.
- 7Make deep holes in the dough about 1 inch apart.
- 8Allow to rise for 20-30 minutes.
- 9Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / GM6
- 10Mix together the remaining oil, garlic and rosemary (leave to sit for a little while to flavour the oil).
- 11Spread over the surface of the bread, and cover with the chopped onion.
- 12Sprinkle over the salt, and then flick on some cold water to stop a skin from warming as it cooks.
- 13Bake for 25 minutes, and then cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion, Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (854 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2092.8
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7580.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 351.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 48.8 g