Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
To give these savory pastries a snap, sprinkle chopped anchovies on top before baking!
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 566.99 g red onions, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme (or your favorite herb)
- 226.79 g puff pastry
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (sun dried, if you can find it)
- black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the the oil in a large pan. add onions and garlic. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Add herbs.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out the puff pastry, make 4 6" round circles, Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Crimp the edges as you would a pie crust. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Mix the remaining oil with the sun dried tomato paste and brush over the pastry, leaving a 1/2 " border bare.
- Place the sauteed onion mixture on each round, grind the pepper over each, lots of it! Drizzle a bit more olive oil on each.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Serve hot, garnished with thyme sprigs.
Very easily prepared, and very tasty! Next time, I would make a larger quantity of smaller galettes, more like bite-size nibbles. I added a little sugar to the onions, and used fresh thyme from the garden. A very easily prepared and impressive little tart, I would happily recommend these. Made in loving memory of Pammy.