Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 50 g butter
- 75 g caster sugar
- 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium heavy-based saucepan.
- Add sugar.
- Stir over low heat until dissolved.
- Add onions and cook.
- Cover and continue to cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add garlic and balsamic vinegar.
- Season and cook uncovered on low heat for another 30 minutes.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer to a bowl.
- Cool slightly before serving.
This was excellent onion confit thanks Charishma. I made a half recipe, but accidently splashed extra vinegar into it. I liked it with the extra! I added a pinch each of chilli and cinnamon when I was seasoning it. We used this with home made chicken burgers. Yum.
This was a great recipe. I used regular sugar, and tried to reduce the butter a bit. It was hard to figure out the right amounts, instead of grams. I used it on BBQ chicken pizza, sandwhiches and a whole lot more. It was really great.