Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These onions have a wonderful sweet, yet sour flavour and are excellent on top of a grilled steak. The color changes to a beautiful purple after adding the vinegar and wine. I like to use these as a calzone filling with oven dried tomatoes, roasted peppers and fresh mozarella.
- Slice the onion very thin and evenly.
- A mandolin is perfect for this.
- Sweat the onions in olive oil on LOW till very soft.
- Add the red wine vinegar and Marsala.
- Simmer till all the liquid has reduced.
These are a nice topping to most anything I can think of. I served it on top of a veggie loaf and a meat loaf this evening. Really nice, my family enjoyed them. Such a simple thing but adds so much. Thanks Arabannie! (Made for P.A.R.T.Y. dec09) (p.s. I found it did need seasoning though, probably 1/2 tsp sea salt and some freshly ground pepper).