Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice onion relish with a hint of orange. Serve with chicken or pork.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb red onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the red onions. Do not stir. Let the onions turn light brown, then turn and brown on the other side.
- When the onions are browned, add the balsamic vinegar and orange rind.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid is almost gone.
Wonderful flavor. The orange really comes out in this dish. I did cut the recipe in half, and it only served the two of us. I guess we have hardy appetites. This is so easy to prepare, the hardest part is not stirring the onions. I served it with Grilled Barbecue Chicken. They went together great. You have another winner here mikekey. Thanks for posting. :)
Delicious!!! I made this to go along with a grilled ribeye steak, as I always like sauteed onions with my steak!! I love the added flavor of the balsamic and orange zest to the onions, perfect!!! Thanks Mikekey for another fantastic recipe!!! Made for PRMR.
What a wonderful onion confit. So easy too, just slice the onions, in the pan and leave it. Great! At first I thought, no salt, no pepper? But truly this does not need any extras, it's perfect as written. We had it with baked chicken, yum. Some of what was left I ate on a simple cheese sandwich which made the sandwich anything but simple. I am so happy to have found this. Thanks for posting. Made for Camera-Less Chef game #5 (June'08).