Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Gram flour, or besan, is made from ground chickpeas and can be found in large supermarkets and Asian stores. It gives these tasty, spiced flatbreads a lovely nutty flavor.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (black onion seeds)
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- sunflower oil or light olive oil, for brushing
- Sift both of the flours into a large mixing bowl and add the onion, red chile, chopped cilantro, and cumin and onion seeds. Season and mix together.
- Gradually pour in the water and knead for 2-3 minutes on a lightly floured surface, to make a soft dough.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and then divide the dough into 8 pieces. Shape each one into a ball.
- Roll the balls out on a lightly floured surface to a 5-inch diameter disc.
- Heat a large, flat griddle pan or nonstick frying pan until it is hot.
- Cook the rolled-out discs of dough, one at a time, for 30 seconds on one side; brush with a little oil, flip over, and cook for 1 minute, moving the bread around.
- Then flip the dough over again to cook on the other side for 1 minute or until the bread is lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove and keep warm, wrapped in aluminum foil while you cook the remainder. Serve warm.