Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Gram flour, or besan, is made from ground chickpeas and can be found in large supermarkets and Asian stores. It gives these tasty, spiced flatbreads a lovely nutty flavor.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (black onion seeds)
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- sunflower oil or light olive oil, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift both of the flours into a large mixing bowl and add the onion, red chile, chopped cilantro, and cumin and onion seeds. Season and mix together.
- Gradually pour in the water and knead for 2-3 minutes on a lightly floured surface, to make a soft dough.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and then divide the dough into 8 pieces. Shape each one into a ball.
- Roll the balls out on a lightly floured surface to a 5-inch diameter disc.
- Heat a large, flat griddle pan or nonstick frying pan until it is hot.
- Cook the rolled-out discs of dough, one at a time, for 30 seconds on one side; brush with a little oil, flip over, and cook for 1 minute, moving the bread around.
- Then flip the dough over again to cook on the other side for 1 minute or until the bread is lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove and keep warm, wrapped in aluminum foil while you cook the remainder. Serve warm.