1 hr 15 mins
You won't be able to kiss anyone after indulging in this spread. It is soooo good that all thoughts of love will vanish and you may even become anti-social as you fight off all competition for the last bite. Specifically for those who love strong flavors. From Jan Roberts-Dominguez's The Onion Book (an Oregon author). I make mine with a bit less oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds, lightly toasted
- 1 bunch grapes
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until lightly brown - about 4 minutes.
- 3In a small saucepan over medium heat, gently warm the olive oil with the onion, walnuts, olives and garlic.
- 4DO NOT bring oil to a boil.
- 5Remove from the heat and cool for a moment.
- 6Place the blue cheese in an attractive serving bowl (2 1/2 - 3 cups capacity).
- 7Pour the warm oil mixture over the cheese and stir gently.
- 8Add pepper to taste, then let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- 9Serve with toasted baguette rounds grapes.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion and Blue Cheese Spread
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1261.9
- Calories from Fat 660
- Total Fat 73.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 1604.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 26.8 g