Recipe by English_Rose
Add a delicious touch to cold meats and cheese with this recipe for a rich, sweet onion chutney.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces demerara sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions, bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the onions have softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the sugar, balsamic vinegar, red wine and the zest and juice of the orange. Cook for a further 1 hour and thirty minutes, uncovered until no liquid remains and the onions are a dark rich red colour. Stir frequently during the last half hour of cooking to prevent the onions from burning.
- Cool the mixture and then transfer to sterilized jars and keep in the fridge until needed.