Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Tender,..but time will vary with each roast. That's the Game game.
Make and share this Red Mountain Barbecued Bear recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bear roast
- Mix all sauce ingredients except ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Place bear roast in oven at 325 degrees.
- Roast 3-4 hours or until tender.
- Baste frequently with sauce.
Thanks for posting this, bear recipes are few and far between. I am giving this 5 stars because the recipe ITSELF is very good, a nice tangy flavor. I halved it for use on on 8 oz black bear steak from a 300-lb bear my boyfriend shot this fall. I roasted the steak with the sauce on top for a good 40 min. Bear meat is VERY dense (obvi) and the meat itself was just ok (one of those things I wanted to try just once), but this recipe definately added a lot of flavor. Prior to cooking I marinated the bear for 24 hrs. in a mixture of milk, lemon rinds, water, and vinegar, which helped remove the gamey taste. Thanks for sharing- I think it would be a good addition to pork also.