Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from a website called Copycat Recipes. I tried this earlier this year and it is fantastic. My husband and I love mushrooms and this hits the spot. It makes a lot so we froze some and it was even better coming from the freezer.
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- Beef stock: Place 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons beef-stock base in a saucepot and simmer until beef-stock base has dissolved. Remove stock from the heat and allow it to cool until it is refrigerator temperature.
- Wash all mushrooms in lukewarm water in a deep bowl. Mix the mushrooms well to loosen the dirt. Remove them from the water by hand, leaving the dirt behind.
- Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms, and then slice all of the mushrooms ?- inch thick. Keep the button mushrooms separate from the others.
- For soup :.
- Heat a 6-8 quart saucepot over moderately high heat. Pour in the melted butter. Add button mushrooms and diced yellow onions to hot butter and cook until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the remaining mushrooms and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sherry and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the flour. Using a cooking spoon, mix well and cook for 2 minutes or until butter and flour (roux) start cooking away from the sides of the saucepot.
- Add half of the cold beef stock and stir until liquid thickens.
- Add the remainder of the stock and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and allow soup to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.