This is by far my favorite ever recipe for clam chowder. I always replace my salad with a cup of this. I was shocked that nobody had posted it.
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, leeks and garlic and saute for 3 minutes mixing often.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour, mixing well.
- Add milk and whisk vigorously.
- Drain clams and add juice to soup.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add potatoes and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams and simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Finish with heavy cream.