Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
This is by far my favorite ever recipe for clam chowder. I always replace my salad with a cup of this. I was shocked that nobody had posted it.
Top Review by allisaylor
Good recipe but I prefer more clams. I added many more in addition to 12 additional oz. of bottled clam juice which added much more flavor (had to use a little more thickener after doing this). Also, FYI, if using ground thyme reduce to 1/4 tsp. I also added parsley just as the restraunt and liked this extra touch. It's definitely the best clam chowder recipe I've ever used and will surely make it again!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced leek
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup minced clams with juice
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, leeks and garlic and saute for 3 minutes mixing often.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour, mixing well.
- Add milk and whisk vigorously.
- Drain clams and add juice to soup.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add potatoes and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams and simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Finish with heavy cream.