This is by far my favorite ever recipe for clam chowder. I always replace my salad with a cup of this. I was shocked that nobody had posted it.
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, leeks and garlic and saute for 3 minutes mixing often.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour, mixing well.
- Add milk and whisk vigorously.
- Drain clams and add juice to soup.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add potatoes and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams and simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Finish with heavy cream.
Good recipe but I prefer more clams. I added many more in addition to 12 additional oz. of bottled clam juice which added much more flavor (had to use a little more thickener after doing this). Also, FYI, if using ground thyme reduce to 1/4 tsp. I also added parsley just as the restraunt and liked this extra touch. It's definitely the best clam chowder recipe I've ever used and will surely make it again!
It needs Clams, stock or clam juice, forget the milk, whipping cream now days is already light enough.
I usually don't modify recipes until I make them at least once. We were on evacuation alert for forest fires so I didn't want to stray too far from home. I only had about half the leek I needed, and I accidentally poured out half of the clam juice before I noticed that you use it in the recipe. The only other change was I added some chopped bacon. It is a wonderful chowder (even with my mistakes), we had it with Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits TSR Version of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits by Todd Wilbur. Divine!!!