Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious salad adapted from Ina Garten. A little blue cheese sprinkled on top makes a nice addition.
- 3 small red onions
- 1⁄4 cup good balsamic vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots (2 large)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 2 heads red-leaf lettuce, washed, spun dry and torn into pieces
- Prehead oven to 375°F.
- Cut the onions in 1/2, then slice 1/4-inch thick. Place on baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- Remove from oven and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together the shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Slowly add 3/4 cup olive oil, whisking while pouring, until emulsified.
- To assemble, toss lettuce with dressing to taste. Place the lettuce on 6 plates and arrange onions on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.