Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A hearty, well-seasoned vegetarian soup.
- 3⁄4 cup dried red lentil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- hot cooked rice
- Add the lentils and water to a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Add in the onion; cook and stir occasionally until onion is slightly limp.
- Add in garlic, cumin, garam masala, and curry powder; cook/stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add in lentils and cooking liquid.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add in the cauliflower; stir.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, corn, and peas; continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add in cilantro; stir.
- Season further if desired.
- Serve hot over rice.
This was delicious and my whole family liked it. It wasn't very spicy, but it may be the kind of curry I have. I omitted the tomatoes because I'm allergic and just added a little more water. Flavour was very nice.
This was our dinner for tonight. I decided right on seeing this that I had to make it for dinner tonight. I'm so glad I did! Instead of making this as a soup, I made this as our main course vegetable. I cut down on the oil by 1 tbsp. and used 2 tsps. of freshly ground cumin seeds instead of 1 tsp. I omitted the cauliflower florets altogether. I used 1 1/2 tsps. of salt. My family enjoyed this with hot rotis(Indian flatbreads) and I loved it with warm white bread. Thank you for sharing this. It's going to be a regular on our table!