1/2 Photos of Red Lentil, Tomato and Spinach Soup
This is an Indian dish high in Iron. I found this on line and tweeked a bit. Both tomatoes and spinach are good sources of iron. They complement each other. Not in just taste but work together to help the body absorb the iron.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal, washed (split red lentils)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 -3 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ghee or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1Heat the butter in a pan and add the onions, garlic and peppercorns.
- 2When the onions turn translucent, add the lentils, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dal is tender. About 20 minutes.
- 3When cool, blend to get a smooth purée.
- 4Add the spinach, milk and bring to a boil.
- 5Finish by adding the lemon juice.
- 6Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil, Tomato and Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.9
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 25.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g