This is an Indian dish high in Iron. I found this on line and tweeked a bit. Both tomatoes and spinach are good sources of iron. They complement each other. Not in just taste but work together to help the body absorb the iron.
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal, washed (split red lentils)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 -3 black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ghee or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the onions, garlic and peppercorns.
- When the onions turn translucent, add the lentils, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dal is tender. About 20 minutes.
- When cool, blend to get a smooth purée.
- Add the spinach, milk and bring to a boil.
- Finish by adding the lemon juice.
- Serve hot.