Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
So easy, very adaptable, easily doubled, and allergy-safe! Enjoy...
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil
- onion powder, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- If you are packing this in a thermos, pre-heat the thermos by filling it with boiling water and letting it sit while you do the following:.
- First, re-constitute the soup with an equal amount of water. Stir well.
- Grate the vegetables into the pot. Add the lentils. Season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Pack into a thermos and go! Or, simmer 2-3 more minutes and eat right away.
- Tip: You can grate the vegetables into the pot the night before and leave them there, covered, until ready to go.
- Variations: Grate zucchini instead of parsnip. Add minute rice, couscous or cooked pasta. Replace the lentils with canned red beans, pinto beans or black beans.
- NOTE: You must use RED lentils in this recipe! Green lentils take much longer to cook. Red lentils cook very quickly.
Nice recipe and so easy to make. Thermos cooking rocks.
Very tasty soup, just what the doctor ordered! I used whole tomatoes and tomato puree with some salt instead of condensed soup, and I threw half a turnip I had in the fridge. Very easy, used what I had on hand. I ignored the other review, they obviously did it wrong!!
Sorry! This might just have been me, but I didn't think lentils took that short a time to cook... aren't they normally 30 minutes? Anyway, mine were still hard. A good idea though, so I might try it with cooked beans next time. OH WAIT... were they meant to be COOKED lentils?