Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This vegetarian dip is a healthy alternative to houmous and great with crudites in a lunchbox. Recipe from Good Food magazine, February 2012. PER SERVING200 kcalories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 28g, fat 5 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 3g, sugar 5g, salt 0.4 g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus a little extra
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces red lentils
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves chopped, plus a little extra to decorate (optional)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- pita bread and vegetable stick, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook slowly until soft and golden. Tip in the paprika and cook for a further 2 mins, then add the sweet potato, lentils, thyme and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 20 mins or until the potato and lentils are tender.
- Add the vinegar and some seasoning, and roughly mash the mixture until you get a texture you like. Chill for 1 hr, then drizzle with olive oil, dust with the extra paprika and sprinkle with thyme sprigs, if you like. Serve with pitta bread and vegetable sticks.