This is from Cooking Light magazine. This recipe uses an immersion blender but a regular blender could also be used.
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 -2 large onion, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 -2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 1⁄4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb dried small red lentil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- Yogurt Sauce:.
- Combine yogurt and cilantro in a small bowl. Use an immersion blender to finely chop cilantro and blend it in with the yogurt.
- Cover and chill.
- Lentil Stew:.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add curry; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil.
- Stir in lentils. Cover and reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are very soft. Stir in ginger.
- Using an immersion blender in pan, coarsely puree lentil mixture. Stir in cayenne pepper and salt if desired.
- Serve lentil mixture with yogurt sauce.