Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
I got this from a book called Quick Fix Vegetarian. The recipes are all wonderful and fast to make. I felt a little funny about lentils in my spaghetti sauce but I need not have worried. This sauce is delicious and rich. Not only is it good the day you make it, but it is even better the next day after the flavors get a chance to gel.
Top Review by riggsmichele
This is FANTASTIC! I'm so excited about this new recipe. Changed a little bit - no broth used - 1 can S&W Whole tomatoes with Oregano - and 1 can S&W ready cut tomatoes - Italian dressing and extra oregano - just because I love it - and GARLIC - I buy the roasted garlic and pretty much add to everything - think I put about 6 cloves in it. - I cooked the lentils in the tomatoes - and only added 2 cups of water(instead of broth) - had to watch it pretty close as not alot of liquid so didn't want to burn it, but i didn't want it watery - the lentils still had shape so added this to my vitamix and gave a quick whirl - then added fresh basil...OMGoodness!! I put this over quinoa stuffed cabbage rolls and baked. The sauce was SO much better after baking - The next day EVEN BETTER - Used zero calorie shirataki noodles and put in casserole dish, layered roasted red peppers, grilled portabellas and sweet onions, fresh basil and the rest of the tomato sauce and baked 30 minutes at 350. WOW!! The calorie count that I get is more like 200 calories for 4 servings. So an amazing meal - very healthy and filling with only 200 calories...and curbs my "noodle/carb" craving...AWESOME!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup red lentil, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth, hot
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red chili
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in the lentils and broth and cook over medium low until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and red chili. Stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the parsley over all.
- Delicious over pasta or polenta.