Yummy soup yet so easy to throw together! Cook time is a guess since I live at high altitude and it takes forever for the lentils to break down. We really enjoyed this, even my 2 yr. old DD loved it! Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 lb red lentil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 quarts chicken broth or 2 quarts vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook until onions are translucent, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, cumin and garlic, cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add lentils and coat evenly with butter, cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 6 cups broth. Bring to simmer and stir often so lentils don't scorch. Cook soup until lentils begin to dissolve and begin to look like a pureed soup. Add additional broth as needed to adjust consistency.
- Season to taste with fresh squeezed lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro or parsley. Serve!