- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat the oil and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, lentils and carrot. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes - until the lentils and carrot are soft. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add the lemon juice and cilantro and serve.