1/3 Photos of Red Lentil Soup With Lemon
studio city girl's Note:
Quick and easy - very tasty payoff for minimal preparation. I've made this soup numerous times and even my kids love it! It was adapted from The New York Times and presented as "Recipe of the Week" in the news magazine The Week. The best part about this recipe is I've never had to adjust the seasonings (although you might want to reduce the cayenne if your family is sensitive to spicy food). Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground chili powder (to taste) or 1 pinch cayenne (to taste)
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lemon, juice of (more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1In a large pot, heat oil over high heat until hot
- 2Add onion and garlic and saute until golden, about 4 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder or cayenne pepper, saute 2 more minutes
- 4Add broth, water, lentils, and carrots.
- 5Bring to a simmer, partially cover pot
- 6Simmer at medium-low until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 7Puree half the soup using an immersion or regular blender and then add it back to the pot. The soup will not be completely smooth.
- 8Stir in lemon juice and cilantro, reheat if necessary before serving.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Soup With Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.2
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 935.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 18.1 g