A nice start for lamb or serve with a salad and fresh, hot bread.
Make and share this Red Lentil Soup-Turkish Style recipe from Food.com.
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup red lentil, washed,picked over and drained
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk (optional) or lemon juice (optional)
- cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons fresh mint, snipped
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, lentils and carrots.
- Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and tomato paste and stir well to mix.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.
- Gradually add stock or water, stirring constantly.
- Simmer uncovered until lentils are v-e-r-y soft, around 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree to smooth.
- Return to pan and add milk or lemon juice to taste.
- Taste and add salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Give it 5 minutes and taste again, adjust seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls and offer croutons and mint at the table.