Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse lentils and rice and pick out any grit.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil; cook onion about 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils and rice; simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Great soup that I ended up throwing into a crockpot. Good for a quick meal and even better if you would rather leave it for a few hours. The 2 year old got enthusiastic about this one - YAY! - and 8 servings went very quickly between the 2 1/2 of us.
I didn't put in the rice, but we still extremely good. We all really enjoyed it.
Yummy! It was easy to make. (I didn't mess it up!) I added about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, used brown instead of white rice, and used "Better than Bouillon" (Chicken flavor) instead of vegetable stock. Thank you for the great recipe!