Recipe by Margaret3
Easy, attractive in color, very healthy and freezes very well. This recipe makes a Dutch oven full.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 6 -8 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups red lentils, washed & thoroughly picked over
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth (low salt, low fat)
- 3 -4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot curry (or mild)
- 4 -6 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in oil til soft.
- Add garlic, celery, and carrots & saute lightly.
- Add everything else & bring to boil.
- Turn down heat & simmer 1 1/2-2 hrs.
- Adjust seasonings (the broth alread has enough salt for us, but some folks will.
- want to add more & some will want more curry and/or cumin).
- I puree it right in the pot with my stick blender, or it can be cooled & zapped in
- a blender or food processor.
- We serve it with a big dollop of non-fat plain yogurt swirled into each bowl.