Recipe by ceilmary
From "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup"...just got this book from the library; haven't tried the recipes, but some of them look very tasty. I will probably modify them, but these are the actual ingredients from the original recipes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried red lentils
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add cumin & coriander; stir for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in 6 cups of vegetable stock, the lentils, carrots, celery leaves, and red pepper flakes.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups of stock and lemon juice.
- Season to taste.