Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is simple to prepare, robust and delicious. It's wonderful served with a good multigrain or rye bread.
- 1⁄2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Wash and drain the lentils.
- In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, onions, stock, bay leaf and garlic; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, rice, tomatoes, thyme, oregano and cumin; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add the parsley; season with salt and pepper to taste.