1/3 Photos of Red Lentil Mulligatawny With Apple-Celery Salsa
Brooke the Cook in WI's Note:
Creamy red lentil soup with a refreshing salsa made of apple, celery and cilantro makes this surprisingly complex! If you like spicy, you could try adding some cayenne, curry paste or even red pepper flakes. From Cooking Light, March 2006. Note: Swanson's 99% fat free broth and Lite Coconut milk add 75 calories per serving; keeping each bowl under 300 calories - and these are big sized bowls!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup granny smith apple, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-fat chicken broth (if making Vegetarian, use vegetable broth)
- 1 cup small dried red lentils
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Prepare salsa - combine salsa ingredients; cover and chill.
- 2Combine broth, lentils and onion in large saucepan over medium high heat; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 3Remove from heat; add coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, cumin and turmeric.
- 4Process soup in food processor or blender in batches until smooth.
- 5Return to saucepan; cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, salt & pepper.
- 6Ladle into soup bowls and top with apple salsa.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Mulligatawny With Apple-Celery Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat chicken broth
light coconut milk