Recipe by Brooke the Cook in WI
Creamy red lentil soup with a refreshing salsa made of apple, celery and cilantro makes this surprisingly complex! If you like spicy, you could try adding some cayenne, curry paste or even red pepper flakes. From Cooking Light, March 2006. Note: Swanson's 99% fat free broth and Lite Coconut milk add 75 calories per serving; keeping each bowl under 300 calories - and these are big sized bowls!
Top Review by pugsinbuffalo
the flavor was spot on and i felt that the salsa really made this soup something special. My soup was really thin, so next time i will use less veggie broth. also, no one else mentioned this, but i found that perhaps there were a few too many onions.
- 2⁄3 cup granny smith apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat chicken broth (if making Vegetarian, use vegetable broth)
- 1 cup small dried red lentils
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare salsa - combine salsa ingredients; cover and chill.
- Combine broth, lentils and onion in large saucepan over medium high heat; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat; add coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, cumin and turmeric.
- Process soup in food processor or blender in batches until smooth.
- Return to saucepan; cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, salt & pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with apple salsa.