Recipe by MtlYogini
This is always a hit with my friends and family. Serve with a tomato sauce (I like it without). Secret to get this loaf to "stick together" is to mix really well. Freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer lentils in water in a saucepan uncovered for about 10 minutes, drain.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- In a large skillet brown onion, garlic and mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Spoon mixture into 9" x 5" tin loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake, uncovered for 40 - 50 minutes until firm and nicely browned on top.