Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This makes kind of a vegetarian meatloaf. It is quite hearty. This makes quite a lot. This works best with a gravy or sauce over it. Add some veggies on the side and you have a healthy meal.
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 3 cups uncooked red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 large chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs Aminos
- 1 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium pot place the potatoes and enough water to just cover the potatoes.
- To that same pot, then add the lentils and 4 cups of water. Simmer until soft and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- In a separate pan saute the onions and garlic. You may saute in a little bit of oil or water.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients together.
- In a large bowl mix together potato lentil mixture, onion garlic mixture, and remaining ingredients. The mixture should be fairly thick. If it seems too soupy add more oats.
- Spoon into greased 9x12 pan.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until crispy on top.
I'm sorry, but this dish just didn't do it for us. Family members rated it from 2 to 2.5 to 3 stars. I'm giving it 3 because it is healthy and it was pretty easy to put together. The lentils smelled so yummy and peppery while they were cooking with the potatoes. And with all the onions, garlic, nutritional yeast and seasonings, it seemed this would have great flavor. It smelled pretty good in the oven too. But the end product was pretty bland. It had the texture of something like canned refried beans. It was pretty dry. I served it with somewhat saucy sauted veggies (onions, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and seasonings). Maybe I should have known to serve it with some kind of sauce? A tomato type sauce? Not sure. We have lots of leftovers now and I'm trying to think what to do with them. I think I will try slicing them thin and putting them in a tortilla with tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and cheese and see if that will work for my clan. Sorry. The ingredient list seemed like it would be really yummy.