48 hrs 4 mins
An Indian pancake traditionally eaten as a breakfast dish. I found this little beauty in The Bread and Bread Machine Bible and amazingly I didn't have to change a thing,,,made with rice and lentils it's naturally gluten free and relatively low carb. And no I haven't made a mistake the prep time really is 2 days,,,but so worth the wait...The recipe only makes six Dosas so to make the effort worthwhile why not multiply the ingredients and freeze them. If you prefer a kick then add a finely chopped chilli to the batter before cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the rice and lentils in a bowl, cover with the warm water.
- 2Leave to soak in the warm water for 8 hours.
- 3Drain off the excess water and retain.
- 4Using a food processor, blend the rice and lentils together until smooth.
- 5Blend in the reserved water.
- 6Place in a large bowl and cover with cling film.
- 7Leave in a warm place to ferment for about 24 hours.
- 8Stir in the seasoning and spices.
- 9Heat a heavy frying pan, over a medium heat until hot.
- 10Add the oil and when just beginning to smoke add 2-3 tablespoons of batter.
- 11Spread the dosa out into a 6inch diameter.
- 12Cook for approximately 2 mins or until set.
- 13Drizzle a little of the oil over the dosa and turn over and cook for a further minute.
- 14Serve warm with chutney or relish.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Dosas
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.7
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 390.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g