Prep 48 hrs
Cook 4 mins
An Indian pancake traditionally eaten as a breakfast dish. I found this little beauty in The Bread and Bread Machine Bible and amazingly I didn't have to change a thing,,,made with rice and lentils it's naturally gluten free and relatively low carb. And no I haven't made a mistake the prep time really is 2 days,,,but so worth the wait...The recipe only makes six Dosas so to make the effort worthwhile why not multiply the ingredients and freeze them. If you prefer a kick then add a finely chopped chilli to the batter before cooking.
- Place the rice and lentils in a bowl, cover with the warm water.
- Leave to soak in the warm water for 8 hours.
- Drain off the excess water and retain.
- Using a food processor, blend the rice and lentils together until smooth.
- Blend in the reserved water.
- Place in a large bowl and cover with cling film.
- Leave in a warm place to ferment for about 24 hours.
- Stir in the seasoning and spices.
- Heat a heavy frying pan, over a medium heat until hot.
- Add the oil and when just beginning to smoke add 2-3 tablespoons of batter.
- Spread the dosa out into a 6inch diameter.
- Cook for approximately 2 mins or until set.
- Drizzle a little of the oil over the dosa and turn over and cook for a further minute.
- Serve warm with chutney or relish.