Recipe by kitteny
I think I originally got this recipe from a magazine (can't remember which), but then lost it and tried to make up it up from memory. It's probably not the same but I love it regardless. It's great on a cold day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups red lentils
- 7 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coriander leaves, minced (cilantro)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add curry powder and garam masala, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add lentils and stir for another minute.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf and turn up heat until soup begins to boil. Turn down heat, cover and let simmer for about an hour and a half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For condiment:.
- Mix together and let sit for at least half an hour.
- Serve soup and let guests put a spoonful or two of flavoured yoghurt into it and stir. Enjoy!