Prep 3 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple vegetarian curry. Split peas can be used instead of lentils. And the curry seasoning should be adjusted to taste.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine (for frying)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared curry powder (or your own selection of curry spices)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup water
- Wash lentils several times.
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped onion.
- When onion is light brown in colour, add the lentils and about half of the water.
- Now add curry powder, chilli powder, mustard and salt.
- Simmer until lentils are cooked, adding more water of needed.
- Add milk about 5 minutes before removeing pot from the stove.
- Split peas can be used instead of lentils.
On its own this would be good, however, I wanted more. I used this as a base. I added chopped green onion, mashed banana and some cumin and wrapped it in a tortilla and enjoyed it tremendously. I also have plenty of leftovers to do it again!! Thanks for posting this Sandra.
I loved this recipe! I didn't have chili powder, so I used cayenne. I also added some finely chopped (almost pureed in my food processor) carrots for a bit more flavour. I might add some different vegetables next time. Delicious!
I randomly bought a bag of red lentils today and this was one of the first recipes my search engine provided me with, so I made it. SO IMPRESSED. I added a bit of garlic in with the onions, some ghost pepper and a little curry paste as well. I'll definitely be making this on a regular basis.