Recipe by Sandra Hyde
A simple vegetarian curry. Split peas can be used instead of lentils. And the curry seasoning should be adjusted to taste.
Top Review by Tebo
On its own this would be good, however, I wanted more. I used this as a base. I added chopped green onion, mashed banana and some cumin and wrapped it in a tortilla and enjoyed it tremendously. I also have plenty of leftovers to do it again!! Thanks for posting this Sandra.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine (for frying)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared curry powder (or your own selection of curry spices)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils several times.
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped onion.
- When onion is light brown in colour, add the lentils and about half of the water.
- Now add curry powder, chilli powder, mustard and salt.
- Simmer until lentils are cooked, adding more water of needed.
- Add milk about 5 minutes before removeing pot from the stove.
- Split peas can be used instead of lentils.