Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Makes a great filling for chapatis, dosa or jacket potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 400 g red lentils, drained and rinsed
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- black pepper
- Heat the oil and add the onion, garlic and bay leaf. Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, curry powder, chili paste, mustard seeds and cumin and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- The lentils should be very tender and the stock absorbed.
- Coarsely mash and serve.
I made a few substitutions- skipped the curry, used chili powder instead of paste, mustard powder instead of seeds, powder cumin, no coriander and used trader joe's cream corn & roasted red pepper soup - all substituions were b/c I didnt have the real thing around, but it is super delicous.. almost addictive! I didn't know lentils could be this good