1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Yummy fall recipe. Especially good when topped with diced pears and yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 13 1/2 ounces coconut milk
- 1/4 cup tamari or 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 -6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 -2 cup peas (optional)
- 2 -3 cups plain yogurt (optional)
- 3 -4 diced fresh pears (optional)
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1In large soup pan, saute in coconut butter (skim from top of can if placed in freezer for 20 minutes) or 1 tablespoon oil until transparent.
- 2Reduce heat and add spices (from garlic to bay leaves). Cook and stir constantly for 3 minutes; do not let onion or spices brown.
- 3Add coconut milk, soy sauce, and tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 4Meanwhile, in saucepan, cook red lentils in water for 15 minutes. Then, add the lentils to the soup pot WITH water.
- 5Add remaining items to soup pot and cook over medium heat just until tender (because the mixture is thick, this could take 30-45 minutes. If pressed for time, steam the sweet potatoes and cauliflower in the microwave for 5 minutes and then add to the soup pot). If using peas, add at the end of the cooking time.
- 6Serve over brown rice with the following optional toppings: fresh diced pears, roasted sunflower seeds, plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Coconut Curry
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.0
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 726.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 19.3 g