Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Yummy fall recipe. Especially good when topped with diced pears and yogurt.
Make and share this Red Lentil Coconut Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup tamari or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 -6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 -2 cup peas (optional)
- 2 -3 cups plain yogurt (optional)
- 3 -4 diced fresh pears (optional)
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- In large soup pan, saute in coconut butter (skim from top of can if placed in freezer for 20 minutes) or 1 tablespoon oil until transparent.
- Reduce heat and add spices (from garlic to bay leaves). Cook and stir constantly for 3 minutes; do not let onion or spices brown.
- Add coconut milk, soy sauce, and tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, cook red lentils in water for 15 minutes. Then, add the lentils to the soup pot WITH water.
- Add remaining items to soup pot and cook over medium heat just until tender (because the mixture is thick, this could take 30-45 minutes. If pressed for time, steam the sweet potatoes and cauliflower in the microwave for 5 minutes and then add to the soup pot). If using peas, add at the end of the cooking time.
- Serve over brown rice with the following optional toppings: fresh diced pears, roasted sunflower seeds, plain yogurt.