Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Yummy fall recipe. Especially good when topped with diced pears and yogurt.
Make and share this Red Lentil Coconut Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup tamari or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 -6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 -2 cup peas (optional)
- 2 -3 cups plain yogurt (optional)
- 3 -4 diced fresh pears (optional)
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- In large soup pan, saute in coconut butter (skim from top of can if placed in freezer for 20 minutes) or 1 tablespoon oil until transparent.
- Reduce heat and add spices (from garlic to bay leaves). Cook and stir constantly for 3 minutes; do not let onion or spices brown.
- Add coconut milk, soy sauce, and tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, cook red lentils in water for 15 minutes. Then, add the lentils to the soup pot WITH water.
- Add remaining items to soup pot and cook over medium heat just until tender (because the mixture is thick, this could take 30-45 minutes. If pressed for time, steam the sweet potatoes and cauliflower in the microwave for 5 minutes and then add to the soup pot). If using peas, add at the end of the cooking time.
- Serve over brown rice with the following optional toppings: fresh diced pears, roasted sunflower seeds, plain yogurt.