Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great vegetarian dinner from Classic Home Cooking! Serve this up with a nice steaming dish of rice!
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 3 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 fresh green chile, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons black mustard seeds (or yellow)
- Put the lentils into a sacuepan and add the 3 2/3 cups water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Using a mortar and pestle(or food processor), crush the fresh ginger, 2/3 of the chilies, and 2 of the garlic cloves until smooth. Add to the lentils.
- Add the coconut milk, turmeric, ground ginger, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Cook gently, stirring for 1 minute, then increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until any excess liquid has evaporated. Taste for seasoning.
- Crush the remaining garlic and set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the crushed garlic and the remaining chopped chili.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a warm serving dish and top with the garlic,chili, and mustard seed butter. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Excellent and easy. Brought to a potluck and it was throoughly enjoyed.
This curry was so great! The whole family LOVED it! I didn't have a fresh green chile, so I used some mild canned diced chile's. Then I added 1 1/2 tsp curry and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I had people over that don't like spicy food and this just added a kick without it making it too hot for them). We enjoyed this with Recipe #137164, Recipe #258001, and rice for a perfect meal. Thanks Sharon! Made for veg*n swap.
This is a five star comfort recipe. It was a soft, subtle dish that really hit the spot. Good way to get your lentils! By the next day, however, the ginger was too much for me (two meals in a row), but my DH was happy - so thank you - great recipe.