Recipe by Ayurveda For Life
Ayurvedic Dhal is a very easy to make dish that can be prepared whenever you don't have much time and still want to eat something nutritious and delicious that will not make you feel like you have a brick in your stomach.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Wonderful easy dal. I used less garlic because my last bulb had gone bad except for two cloves, but it still was excellent. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2013
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black salt
- 2 -3 dry curry leaves (optional)
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In one pot put the lentils and water.
- Add the turmeric, chilly, salt and curry leaves and bring to boil.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate sauce pan heat up the ghee and add the mustard and ajwain seeds.
- When you hear the seeds pop add the chopped onion and shredded ginger.
- Cook the onions until they are well cooked and brown. To them add the diced tomatoes and finely chopped garlic.
- Cook until the tomatoes become soft and are well mixed in the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the lentils and simmer for another 10 minutes.