Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From an AWW magazine, thick and satisfying soup.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus
- 1 cup extra vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 brown onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Rinse the lentils and rice in cold water and drain.
- Combine the 4 cups of stock and the water in large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add the lentils, rice and cumin and return to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until just tender, approx 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large fry pan, add onion and cook until softens, add sugar and vinegar and cook stirring until onion caramelises, remove from heat.
- Stir the cayenne, coriander and parsley into the lentil mixture and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the caramelised onion mixture and the extra cup of stock, cook, stirring, until heated through.
We did not care for it - my husband called it "cumin soup". He tried to eat it, the rest of us went with a frozen pizza. Some notes: I put the rice on to cook first since it takes longer, then added the lentils. I had to google "fresh coriander" to find that it was cilantro. I used yellow onions since I don't know what brown onions are. Overall I'm really annoyed to be throwing out a huge batch of soup after crying over the onions!
If I could I would give this a 3.5 star rating...unfortunately that's not possible! As a whole I liked the fact that this soup was filling and healthy but I wasn't keen on the combination of the onions and the lentils. It still made a nice lunch with massive portions! Thanks.
I followed the advice from canthelpmyself and cooked the onions first then added the stock, lentils and rice, etc.. As I had leftover chorizo sausages I added 3 of them (chopped up) as well as some achiote seasoning and turmeric. This was very easy to make and extremely tasty. Thank you very much for posting this recip!