1/1 Photo of Red Lentil & Caramelised Onion Soup
From an AWW magazine, thick and satisfying soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus
- 1 cup extra vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 brown onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1Rinse the lentils and rice in cold water and drain.
- 2Combine the 4 cups of stock and the water in large saucepan and bring to boil.
- 3Add the lentils, rice and cumin and return to the boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until just tender, approx 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, melt butter in large fry pan, add onion and cook until softens, add sugar and vinegar and cook stirring until onion caramelises, remove from heat.
- 6Stir the cayenne, coriander and parsley into the lentil mixture and bring to the boil.
- 7Stir in the caramelised onion mixture and the extra cup of stock, cook, stirring, until heated through.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil & Caramelised Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.3
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 76.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 27.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: