Recipe by justcallmetoni
This salad stands well as its own summertime vegetarian entree or as a side to a simply grilled meat. Chicken and lamb work particularly with these Mediterranean flavors. If watercress is not available, you can use another peppery green such as arugula. Red lentils are best in this recipe as they cook faster and offer a nice visual contrast to the greens.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups watercress, rough chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano (Greek if you have it)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place red lentils in a colander and pick out any stray bits. Rinse with water and drain.
- Place lentils,in saucepan with water. Bring water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let lentils simmer 5 minutes then add onions, carrots and simmer an additional 10 minutes until lentils are tender. Drain but do not rinse the lentils, carrots and onion.
- While the lentils are simmering whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard and garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the lentils are drained, add watercress and lentils to the dressing and toss until well coated.
- Serve immediately.