This is a thick, hearty stew-like soup. Add more stock or water to make it thinner if you like it more soupy. Or spoon some into a bowl and top with cheese, then heat until the cheese melts and scoop up with whole wheat pita or whole wheat tortillas. I use my home grown tomatoes that have been peeled and seeded and stewed in their own juices. Canned tomatoes are a fine substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan.
- 2Add onion, carrot, and celery.
- 3Saute until the vegetables start to soften.
- 4Add the creole seasoning and stir well.
- 5Stir in the garlic, chickpeas, and lentils.
- 6Stir in the tomatoes.
- 7Bring to a simmer, stirring often, and cook until the lentils start to break down (about 20-30 minutes).
- 8Add the stock.
- 9Stir in the rice.
- 10Cover and simmer until the rice is cooked through and the lentils are fully tender (about 15 minutes).
- 11Taste for seasoning, and serve. Even better the next day after flavours have blended.
- 12For a thinner soup or to reheat, add more stock or some water to the desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil and Rice Stew/Soup
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.7
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 338.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: