Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty vegetarian curry that only gets better -- so if you have made too much save it for a day or two!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1⁄2-1 red chili pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 650 ml water
- 250 g red lentils
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or large skillet.
- 2. Cook the onion until edges begin to turn brown.
- 3. Add ginger, garlic and tomato. Cook for 5 minutes or until tomato begins to break down.
- 4. Add the diced potatoes, stir once or twice to coat with flavour.
- 5. Add the chilli pepper (if using), curry powder, turmeric, coriander. Coat the potatoes well. Cook for five minutes.
- 6. Add the lentils and water. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- 7. You may need to add additional water if the lentils are not cooked through but all the water has been absorbed.
- 8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- 9. Serve with rice and naan bread.