Recipe by Geema
The coconut milk in this recipe creates a nutty and interesting flavor.
Top Review by Loves2Cook!
Love this soup! Added more carrot, and used a combo of homemade turkey stock and chicken broth. Only had two garlic cloves, so I added a half teaspoon of garlic powder. Threw in four slices of fresh jalapeño. Used the immersion blender and made some naan-flavored bread in my ABM to go with it. Yum!
- 2 cups red lentils, well washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 -4 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, breaking them up as you stir.
- Add carrots, lentils, lemon juice and broth.
- Spoon mixture into slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk and continue cooking on high for 20 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro and several dashes of your favorite hot sauce.