Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The coconut milk in this recipe creates a nutty and interesting flavor.
- 2 cups red lentils, well washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 -4 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- In a large skillet cook onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, breaking them up as you stir.
- Add carrots, lentils, lemon juice and broth.
- Spoon mixture into slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk and continue cooking on high for 20 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro and several dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
I love this recipe! I've made it 6 or 7 times in the last couple of months, and it's tons of fun to play with! I'll halve the lentils and add brown rice, or add extra veggies or play with the spices or whatever, and it's amazing every time :) Thank you!
This soup was seriously AMAZING. I wished I never had to stop eating it! I cut back the lentils by a half cup, the broth by 1.5 cups and the coconut milk by 1/2 cup in order to reduce the calories, plus I used 5 carrots and extra cumin. I also ran the immersion blender a touch to make it a little thicker. Wow! It was so good! Next time I think I might use a little less broth and then serve it over brown rice.
This is delicious! I used 4 carrots instead of 2, and subbed one of the tsp of cumin with curry powder because I didn't have much cumin. I also added about a half a bag of leftover baby spinach. It came out fantastic! Thanks for posting!