Recipe by FLKeysJen
From the Essential Best Foods Cookbook: Recipes Featuring the Healthiest and Most Delicious Foods. Add an Indian flourish by swirling in cumin seeds sizzled briefly in hot oil. You can use additional chopped cilantro if you prefer to keep it practically fat free.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Nice, 4 1/2 stars. I did puree most of the soup and mixed it into the unpureed part to look better. I added the cilantro after. It's best not to reheat with the cilantro added as a second time I did that and it wilted and changed from bright green to a dull green. I liked the swirl on top very much. I used, soft dried sulfured orange apricots, a bit less fresh ginger, recipe#279714, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil in place of the canola oil to be healthier, pomegranate molasses, plus the rest of the ingredients. This was nice for a change for sure but I don't think I will make it encore.
- 1 cup red lentil, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses or 1 teaspoon pomegranate juice, concentrate
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep saucepan, combine the lentils, onion, tomatoes with their liquid, apricots, ginger, garlic, garam masala and turmeric. Add four cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Mix in the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix in the cumin and cook, stirring, until the oil is bubbling and the seeds start to darken in color, about two minutes. Immediately, off the heat, mix in the pomegranate molasses or juice concentrate. Take care, as it will splatter.
- Divide the soup among four deep soup bowls. Drizzle on the cumin mixture and serve.