Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A easy to make delicious salad and dressing. Recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic, mashed to a paste with
- 1⁄4 salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces (1/2 pound)
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumber (usually plactic Wrapped)
- Make dressing; Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make salad; Soak onion in 1 cup cold water 10 minutes, then drain well in a sieve.
- Toss Lettuce, watercress, and cucumber together in a bowl, Divide into bowls, spoon dressing over salad then sprinkle with onions.
Wonderful dressing on a flavorful salad - I used owdered Buttermilk and otherwise followed the recipe to a tee - Thank-you Barb for a tasty side salad that will go with almost any meal. This dressing would be good on a plain mixed greeen salad as well. I love the calorie count for this recipe!!!!
A very good side salad, the tarragon gives the dressing almost a licorice taste.