Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
from Gourmet Magazine, January 2003. A great winter salad with a terrific buttermilk dressing.
- 1⁄2 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic, mashed to a paste with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumber
- Make dressing:.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make salad:.
- Soak onion in 1 cup cold water 10 minutes, then drain well in a sieve.
- Toss lettuce, watercress, and cucumber together in a bowl and divide among 6 plates. Spoon dressing over, then sprinkle salads with onion.