Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Enjoy this Indian recipe for rajma (red kidney beans) with jeera (cumin) rice. You can spice this up according to your taste! If you have an Indian grocery store in your area, you could add a great taste to it by adding one spoon of 'garam masala' which is a special blend of mixed spices...But it's just as great without it!
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 whole cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon hing
- 6 roma plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon dried red peppers or 1 teaspoon cajun dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) candrained kidney beans
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro, mince
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the cloves, whole black peppercorn, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Cover the pan as the pepper tends to splutter right out of the pan and can cause burns! Let heat for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the tomatoes and saute well. Stir in hing. (For a great taste, saute until almost dry.).
- Raise the stovetop's temperature to a medium heat.Add the ginger and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the chili, red kidney beans and salt; mix well. Slowly add water a small amount at a time. You are adding water to create a gravy, only add water until the gravy has reached the consistency that you would like. For a smoother gravy, cool and blend the sauteed mixture before adding the red kidney beans. Garnish with cilantro.